Welcome, and thank you for taking interest in the Neyaskweyahk Group of Companies Inc. (NGCI). I am very honoured to accept leadership’s invitation to chair the board of directors. A great privilege has been bestowed upon me and my fellow board members, and we have ambitious expectations and goals. Through Creating Pathways for Tomorrow, we are committed to achieving these goals. Since our incorporation in 2013, we have been busy implementing our strategic plan and refining our governance standards: policies and procedures that help guide our decisions and activities moving into the future.
Our accomplishments to date include:
- Significant capital and human resource investment in our Fas Gas Convenience Store and Gas Bar, making us the number one retailer in the region
- The first Taco Time franchise owned and operated by a First Nation business, also located on a reserve in Canada
- Significant progress in capturing economic leakage in the Maskwacis area and surrounding region
- Over one million dollars invested annually in our staff’s training, wages, and benefits
- Significant investment in new and emerging business opportunities in tourism, agriculture, and renewable energy development
- Industry and institutional partnership development
- Significant growth through the merger and acquisition of existing businesses
- Continuous improvement in the board, management, and staff’s professional and personal learning and development
We continue to collaborate with our colleagues within the Ermineskin administration and leadership in developing a long-term strategic plan that complements the socioeconomic goals of the Nation and each department in Economic Development, Lands, Employment and Training. This has helped us define our vision, mission, mandate, and goals. It also provides us with a map for “Creating Pathways for Tomorrow.”
On behalf of my fellow board members, I wish to thank the leadership for giving us this opportunity, and for assigning us the responsibility to carry out this very important initiative. We look forward to contributing to the socioeconomic conditions of the Nation, and investing in today’s opportunities for tomorrow’s prosperity.
NGCI Chairman’s 2017 Address